Sunday, January 4, 2009

White Queen to Black Rook

She runs her hand through his hair. “Oh, my boy, you suffer so.” Her tone is a delicate balance of concern and mockery. 
“Leave. I’m not in the mood,” he sneers snapping his head to the side and away from her.
“Such petulance, child,” she smiles as she kneels down to face him on the floor. Suddenly her hand snakes out and grasps a handful of his dark hair, pulling him closer. “You have been spending too much time with her.”
“I’m not playing this game anymore. She means too much to me now. Find another way.”
“You’ll do what you’re told as any good child should.”
“No. It ends now.”
The smell of smoke and burning canvas still fills the air. She releases his hair and stands, looming over him, the folds of her long white dress surrounding him like a ring of fire.
“I favour you, boy, but that does not mean you’re beyond reproach.”
A wry chuckle escapes his throat. “Do what you will. I fear neither death nor pain.”
“Silly child,” she lilts her head to the side smiling and showing fangs. “I don’t need to punish you. You do such a fine job of that on your own. I just need to take away what matters.”
Instantly he is on his feet with a hand to her throat. “Hurt her in any way and I will cut a bloody swath through this city to you. I will throw the ashes of each and every one of my brothers and sisters at your feet. And then…”
“And then what, child? Kill me?” She removes his hand effortlessly. “You know you can’t.”
“No. Then I douse myself in gasoline and have one last cigarette.” He smiles sardonically. “I don’t need to kill you. I just need to take away what matters.”
For some time the two remain frozen in static regard. She eventually speaks again with a voice that could carve granite. “You are such a fool. All this for a girl you can not even muster those pathetic words for. Not even speak the simplest lie to.”
“Damn you. You stay away from us.”
Her eyes widen with sudden realization. “Oh. Oh, but it wouldn’t be a lie, would it? I know the face of your fear, little boy. You can’t say the words because they are true. You forget I know you better than any other soul in the world. And you destroy the things you love. It feeds the misery you wallow in. It’s what makes you…” she mouths the words deliberately, “an artist.”   
“This is different. I have a chance. As small as it is. I have a real chance at happiness.” He takes a step back and turns. She follows stepping forward placing both hands on his shoulders and resting her chin by his neck. In a whisper she speaks softly into his ear. “Then you are a double fool for believing that. Even if you were to find this happiness, even against all chance you find joy it will repulse her. She is drawn to you because you are broken. Mend and she will leave. Then you will have nothing.” 
She kisses his neck then turns and leaves gathering up her white dress. “Play the game, child,” She calls out as she steps into the elevator. “It’s all you really have.”
He balls his hands into fists as he stares at the floor. He listens as the machinery lowers her away. 
“Damn you,” he whispers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One for Sorrow.

Anonymous said...

Do we run?
Should I hide?
For the rest
Of my life

Can we fly?
Do I stay?
We could lose
We could fail